Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Am I post menopausal or what?
curiousp posted:
Hello all. I am 42 yrs old, no children, and have been experiencing multiple hot flashes a day, irregular cycles and fatigue for over a year now. I saw my gyno the other day who ordered labs after my physical exam showed my vaginal wall had thinned out. Got the call that my lab work is equal to post menopausal woman but its only been 2 months since my last period. It was a very heavy, painful period that totally wiped me out. From everything I am reading it appears that you have to go a year without a period before considered menopausal so now I am very confused. How can I be post meno without going through menopause and what is my next step?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Curiousp,
You are correct; being fully menopausal means a year without a period; the time frame leading up to that is called perimenopause; the blood tests will often be the same; but you're obviously not fully menopausal. And unfortunately, without the benefit of your ovaries making a good amount of progesterone to control your bleeding, you can bleed heavily. One option that you might consider: if you are a good candidate for a low dose birth control pill (basically in good health and a non smoker) you might do very well with a low dose pill. I'm going to encourage you to go to the web site menopause.org, which is the website of the North American Menopause society, which has lots of very good information available for you.
Good luck
Mary Jane

curiousp replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
Thank you. I will check that website. I spoke with my drs office today and was prescribed Activella but have not started taking yet.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Menopause - Younger Ages
For those of you out there that are going/gone through menopause at an early age, Yes it happens. It's unusual but it happened to me. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
20 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website