Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Menopause reversal?
cricket2731 posted:
I've heard that women who've gone thru menopause can have their reproductive system spontaneously re-start. Is this true? My last period was about 2 yrs ago, & I've really enjoyed the absence of tampons & not having to worry about birth control not working for whatever reason. I still have an active sex life, & the LAST thing I need at my age (almost 58) is an unexpected pregnancy.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Cricket2731,
At 58, I think you can rest assured that you won't be starting up with significant ovarian activity again. There are occasionally women who do go through menopause very early (like in their 30's) and it seems that their ovaries do "revive"-but this would be unusual at this point-so go and have a good time! and not to worry-
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

mood swings/menopause
I have so much empathy for all women that go through this,either mild or severe.I was put on a hormone,very low dose because I have 4 ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website