Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Body Changes in Menopause
iahunny posted:
Five years ago, I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes, and am in the throws of menopause. I have noticed a lot of changes to my body. One in particular that bothers me is a vaginal odor. It doesn't matter if I shower everyday, or not. I do not have any other symptoms of a yeast infection or any other type of infection. Is this something that is common with menopause? If so, what do I do? I've tried feminine hygene sprays and body sprays but nothing seems to help. I am a clean person and this is driving me nuts. Any suggestions? Something I should ask my doctor about?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear iahunny,
Do you feel dry vaginally? Many women with vaginal dryness do end up with bacterial infections in the vagina; when vaginal tissue dries out, the "good guy" bacteria of the vagina, the lactobacilli, tend to go away (they like well estrogenized vaginal cells better) and you can end up with an overgrowth of "nastier" bacteria; and the pH of the vagina goes up. You could try an over the counter remedy like repHresh, which will help lower your vaginal pH, and may help the vaginal situation. If that doesn't do the job, you may want to speak with you health care provider about some vaginal estrogens, which would make the environment better for the good lactobacilli, and help keep the nastier bacteria away. There are also vaginal antibiotics available if you have a significant infection. So don't give up, there are treatments available,
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Menopause - Younger Ages
For those of you out there that are going/gone through menopause at an early age, Yes it happens. It's unusual but it happened to me. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 30 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website