Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    Body Changes in Menopause
    iahunny posted:
    Five years ago, I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes, and am in the throws of menopause. I have noticed a lot of changes to my body. One in particular that bothers me is a vaginal odor. It doesn't matter if I shower everyday, or not. I do not have any other symptoms of a yeast infection or any other type of infection. Is this something that is common with menopause? If so, what do I do? I've tried feminine hygene sprays and body sprays but nothing seems to help. I am a clean person and this is driving me nuts. Any suggestions? Something I should ask my doctor about?
    Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
    Dear iahunny,
    Do you feel dry vaginally? Many women with vaginal dryness do end up with bacterial infections in the vagina; when vaginal tissue dries out, the "good guy" bacteria of the vagina, the lactobacilli, tend to go away (they like well estrogenized vaginal cells better) and you can end up with an overgrowth of "nastier" bacteria; and the pH of the vagina goes up. You could try an over the counter remedy like repHresh, which will help lower your vaginal pH, and may help the vaginal situation. If that doesn't do the job, you may want to speak with you health care provider about some vaginal estrogens, which would make the environment better for the good lactobacilli, and help keep the nastier bacteria away. There are also vaginal antibiotics available if you have a significant infection. So don't give up, there are treatments available,
    Good luck,
    Mary Jane

    Featuring Experts

    Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

    Helpful Tips

    Hot flash & Night sweat relief
    I am 51 and started perimenopause 6 years ago. I experience hot flashes and night sweats heavily every two weeks - the time I usually ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website