Skip to content
thyroidectomy and menopause
An_254368 posted:
I'm 54 yrs old. I had a thyroidectomy approx. 4-5 yrs ago. I'm having the worse menopause symptoms compare to all my friends. I tend to think it has a lot to do with my thyroidectomy even though my thyroid levels are within normal limits. I'm not taking any hormones for my menopause but I'm seriously considering it since I have all symptoms related with menapause, recently I'm not able to sleep till 4:am and my nite sweats wake me up at 7-8:am the latest, I'm having a real hard time just trying to function. Can anyone out there give me any idea if this two issues have any relationship since my thyroid levels are normal?

Anon_6061 responded:
I'm sorry you had your thyroid removed. Did you have cancer? From what I've read including people's experiences, hormone replacement cannot completely replace the functions of removed or non-functioning glands or organs (be it thyroid, ovaries, adrenal, pancreas). It's taking an automatic process (of the body's natural ability to produce just the right hormones at just the right moment) and making it manual with a medication that is not EXACTLY the same as what the body produced. Plus I truly believe that medicine does not know about all the substances produced by each gland or organ.

I take estrogen after an unwarranted hysterectomy and I can assure you it's not a replacement for my ovaries. Ovaries also produce testosterone which reaches pre-menopausal levels in a woman's 70's. I've tried testosterone too but it does nothing for me.

I suspect you're on Synthroid or its generic since that seems to be the standard thyroid "replacement" medication. Synthroid contains only T4. Some people do better on natural dessicated thyroid since it contains T4 and T3. These are available as NP thyroid (by Acella), Westhroid, Naturethroid. There are some good thyroid support groups on the web that may be helpful to you.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Physical activity at midlifeExpert
Regular physical activity is a vital part of every midlife woman?s life, preserving physical and mental health and improving quality of ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website