Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Menopause
heflinathenia posted:
Hello I am also 34 and had a hyst when I was in my twentys but I still have my right ovary. I have had my blood drawn and they haven't said anything about it being bad. Do they always check that or do you have to ask? I have been having horrible mood swings, can't sleep, very very light sleeper all of a sudden, no energy and headaches. I am taking the pill phintaramine could that affect it and could it be addicting? Thanks

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Heflinathenia,
We don't routinely do hormone levels when we order a general blood screen. The two tests that would give you information on your hormone levels would be an FSH and estradiol level; these certainly can be ordered. Phenteramine is basically a stimulant type pill (cousin of amphetamines) and is prescribed in general to suppress the appetite. It certainly could have an effect on sleep, as well. So I would check the hormone levels; if it looks like your ovary is working fine, you might want to consider stopping the phenteramine to see if you feel better without it.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

heflinathenia replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
Thank you so much!

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

mood swings/menopause
I have so much empathy for all women that go through this,either mild or severe.I was put on a hormone,very low dose because I have 4 ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website