Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Vaginal discharge & bleeding after menopause
An_254537 posted:
Hi,

My mom has stopped her period for about 2 years time and few weeks ago she has small amount of vaginal discharge. We've check with the doctor and the doctor did the transvaginal ultrasound to diagnose the problem. The result is normal but the doctor advise us to perform the blood test to test the hormone level and also tumor marker as my mom lining is a bit thicken since my mom has claimed that she has stopped her period for 2 years. Besides, the doctor also examine the discharge and all the results are normal but her hormone level (estrogen) is a bit high which is 224 pg/ML.

We went back to see the doctor again in 2 weeks time after the test above as my mom has very very light bleeding and leading up to this she has all the symptoms for a period such as sore breast, bloating and cramping. The doctor did the transvaginal ultrasound on my mom again and he told me that my mom's lining is back to normal but he suggests to perform a D&C to further check on it as he thinks that it is unusual for a woman who had menopause to have light bleeding.

I'm quite worried after reading through the information from the web and not sure whether is it normal for a women who had gone through menopause to experience the symptoms above. Any possibilities that my mom had not fully menopause?

By the way, she has stopped bleeding and only has very very small amount of discharge currently. So, does she still need to perform the D&C?

Appreciate for advise.
Thanks.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear An_254537,
Sounds like your mom is a very lucky woman; she has you for a child, and it sounds like you are a very caring individual (and you relate a very good medical history)-and she also has a good gynecologist. Indeed it is possible for your mom to have had a sort of "last hurrah" of ovarian activity, and this could have been a late period. However, her gyn is prudent to rule out other causes of bleeding. She would benefit from a sampling of the lining of her uterus; an endometrial biopsy might be sufficient; a D and C is reasonable. The other thing she will need is a followup estrogen level; if she had a period, the level should come back down; if it stays elevated, she'll need an evaluation to figure out where the estrogen is coming from.
So keep up the good work to all; I trust it was just a last period, truly, and that Mom will be fine,
Good luck,
Mary Jane

may_g replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
Dear Mary,

Thank you for your advise. We are very lucky to have you here answering all our queries especially for people like me (eldest child in the family) that do not have much knowledge on menopause. I love my mom and I hope that she can stay healthy and happy always. I felt so relieved after reading your comment above.
Once again, thank you and truly appreciate for your time : )

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to may_g's response:
Dear May_g,
Thanks for the kind words, and the best of luck to you and to Mom.
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Estring worked for me
I've had this problem periodically since menopause - I am now 67. Cure for me was Estring, which actually causes a pleasant sort of sweet ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website