Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Perimenopause
An_254570 posted:
Hi, I am 47, going thru big changes like moving from Eu to USA , plus I think perimenopause is around the corner.... I have night sweats, anxiety, mood swings, insomnia. I missed my period too. Went to see the doctor, got Gildess fe 1/20, took 11 pills. The first week was good, could sleep thru the night, no sweats, and now started again, but not every day. Is this normal? When should I expect feeling like a " normal" again?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear An_254570,
Hopefully by the end of the first package you'll be in better shape. Breakthrough bleeding may take another cycle; and if the symptoms don't totally settle down, you always could go to a slightly higher dose (30 micrograms) pill.
But this approach is very reasonable, and I hope you feel better soon.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

orvos replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
Thank you for your answer Dr Minkin, your support means a lot to me! I have one more week, the placebo pills to finish the first package! They called me from doctors office about my lab test, and learned my estrogen level was ok, but the progesteron was low before starting birth control pills. What do you think of this?
Now I have good day/ nights, but sometimes for no reason feel awful. I drive my husband crazy telling him my strange symptoms .

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to orvos's response:
Dear Orvos,
The low progesterone isn't surprising at all; in perimenopause, we tend not to ovulate well, and it's with good ovulation that you make the progesterone. And indeed that's a good part of how the birth control pills work; they contain a good level of synthetic progesterone, called progestins, which act as the policeman of the lining of the uterus, and will help control the bleeding. So getting some progestin on board should help,
Good luck,
Mary Jane

orvos replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
Dear Dr Minkin,
Can I take alternative medication (like Remifemin), or herbal teas, vitamins with the birth controll pills? when I took the placebo pills my symptoms came back. any suggestion?
thank you

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to orvos's response:
Dear Orvos,
That is a good question, and yes you can take products like Remifemin when you are on birth control pills. I have another suggestion to consider: for women who do get symptoms the week off of pills-you can either do extended cycling (like taking the pills without doing the placebo week-just starting the next pack without doing the placebo)-or taking a very small amount of estrogen during the placebo week (some pills are already packaged like that)-so speak with your gynecologist, who should be able to help you with that.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

mood swings/menopause
I have so much empathy for all women that go through this,either mild or severe.I was put on a hormone,very low dose because I have 4 ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website