Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Menopause treatments
smileydixon posted:
Hi, my name is Christy and I had a Hysterectomy 2 1/2 yrs ago, I'm still going through menopause, I take 2 St Johns wort 3 times daily for moods, 1 Black cohosh 3 times daily for hot flashes n night sweats and I'm on Welbutrin 2 times a day for depression caused by menopause.they have worked great until about a month ago. I don't drink or smoke or drink a lot of caffine. my hot flashes are getting worse and I'm becoming iratable again, the sound of someones voice even gets too me sometimes. My whole life I have been a happy person, never depressed. Is there something else I can try ?? should I increase my mg of meds ?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Smileydixon,
A couple of suggestions. Is there any reason you cannot take estrogen? As you have had a hysterectomy, you won't need to take progesterone, and estrogen alone, in the Women's Health Initiative, did not show any increased risk of breast cancer. You could take bioidentical estrogen in the form of a gel (like Divigel or Elestrin) or a transdermal patch. It would likely help your hot flashes and your mood. If you don't want to take estrogen, you might consider a medication such as Brisdelle, which is a very low dose SSRI, and is FDA approved for hot flashes. So I think you have several options to consider.
Do speak with your health care provider about some options,
Good luck,
Mary Jane

smileydixon replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
there is also a vaginal insert that also helps with vaginal drying and has estrogen in it. Do you know of any place that helps with Getting prescriptions filled. My Dr will write me a prescription of those, we talked about the a little. I have no insurance and can't afford expensive medicines. ?

smileydixon replied to smileydixon's response:
My DR. put me on hire dosage of Welbutrin, which should help a little more for my moods

diytestkitsdotcom responded:
Hi smileydixon,

I'm so sorry to hear that you are having a hard time at this stage of your life. I understand that this is a phase all women will eventually go through. But I also believe that each one has a different experience from the rest. One woman may have it easier than others and seemingly breeze through the experience, many would have a difficult time, and there could also be one that will even have it worse than most.

So, hang in there and try to find more comforts that can make you overlook the bad days. Also find activities which can get you to enjoy to take your mind off the stress so you'll worry less.

Even though people's voices tend to irritate you, try talking to friends who are going through menopause as well, in this way you won't feel alone in your struggle. You will have a healthy exchange of thought which can even broaden your perception on this things, helping you understand it even more. Plus, the time spent bonding with your peers will help keep relationships going, and your mind from fixating over your anxieties. You can even help each other battle out this struggle.

Hopefully you can overcome this and feel better again. Goodluck!

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Physical activity at midlifeExpert
Regular physical activity is a vital part of every midlife woman?s life, preserving physical and mental health and improving quality of ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website