Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Just started perimenopausal symptoms
An_254625 posted:
Hi Everyone,.
I just joined this community because I am looking for support and answers.
Just a brief history: I just started premenopausal symptoms approximately 2 months ago. I am experiencing many of the same symptoms as all of you. The hot flashes, the foggy thought, the sadness for no reason, irritability, irregular periods, the anxiety, the tremors. What has me the most concerned is the moodiness. I do feel like I am loosing my mind. I am sad a lot or have sad thoughts. I can't control them and just have to let the mood run its course. I hate it. It's getting to the point where I can't function while they are happening and it's happening a lot. I am currently unemployed, so I have no insurance to see a doctor. I am scared that I won't be able to hold a job when the sadness and anxiety starts.
I started taking Black Cohosh Extract by Spring Valley. It is helping with symptoms a little. It's in the vitamin section at most stores. Any suggestions of other OTC things I can try until I can see a doctor? Thank You

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear An_254625,
Black cohosh is a reasonable over the counter choice; if the brand you are using is working, great; if not, you might try Remifemin, imported from Germany (still over the counter here.) Another option is soy; getting some in your diet can be helpful; another over the counter product is I-cool, which has the same isoflavones (the sort of weak plant estrogens) which make soy helpful for some women. You may want to check in with your local planned parenthood; they do a lot of womens' health care, besides contraception, and they have a sliding scale for payment-so see if they can help you out with perimenopausal care.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

An_254625 responded:
Well, after having my iron levels drop severely to the point where 1 of the 3 levels the Dr's were watching didn't even register a point & HGB being as low as a 5 (12 being low) the doctors ran all kinds of tests. I pretty much bleed all of February. Even had 3 IVs of iron. They discovered I have ovary cysts and a tumor in my uterus. I am scheduled for a hysterectomy. They will be removing my uterus, cervix and the ovary that produces the cysts. They put me on Prozac to control mood swings and gave me a depo shot so I wont bleed anymore before surgery. This week is 1 of my usual period weeks and I am experiencing hot flashes, mood swings and I am not sleeping well. I hope the menopausal symptoms calm down and even go away after surgery.
I found a job after my first post but I ended up losing my job in the process because I was still in my 90 days when my Dr's pulled me out of work. I just want to feel normal so I can get a job after surgery.

Anon_6061 replied to An_254625's response:
Having parts removed will likely worsen your menopausal symptoms. I can attest to that big time by experience!

The most common uterine "tumors" are fibroids which can cause a lot of bleeding. Polyps are another possibility. What did your doctor tell you these are? Have any pharmaceutical treatments been tried to control the bleeding? There are hormonal and non-hormonal options as detailed here - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0015970/table/ch8.t1/?report=objectonly.

If part of our "reproductive" system is removed, it can cause a cascade of problems compromising many aspects of our health and quality of life.

There are surgeons out there who will remove just the uterine growths so you can keep your uterus and its non-reproductive functions (anatomical, skeletal, hormonal, sexual). And the ovaries are essential to lifelong health too as they produce hormones into a woman's 80's. Hysterectomy is grossly overused so you may need to doctor shop if you want to keep these vital organs.

I had a hysterectomy and my life and health have suffered in many ways. I don't even look the same. I aged overnight and I have the hysterectomy figure and resulting spine, back, and hip pain which has gotten progressively worse the further out I get from surgery.

Please research and make sure you are comfortable with what is being recommended. There are quite a few studies out there about the negative effects of hysterectomy.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

Menopause - Younger Ages
For those of you out there that are going/gone through menopause at an early age, Yes it happens. It's unusual but it happened to me. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 30 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website