Skip to content
estrogen after complete hysterectomy
deda1957 posted:
In 1991, at the age of 33, I had a complete hysterectomy and was placed on estrogen. Through the years, I would try to get off the hormones but the mood swings, hormones, etc. were so intense that I would get back on them. About two years ago, I decided to get off hormones and try to tolerate the unpleasantness thinking that the symptoms would eventually go away. A few weeks ago, I decided that it was time to do something and went to a Doctor. Told her about my moods, how tired I am, the hot flashes, vaginal dryness, the facial hair......She completed a series of blood work and the results of these tests showed that I am not post menopausal. She asked If I was sure that my ovaries had been removed. I am currently awaiting my next appointment and just very curious. What could cause my body to produce estrogen since my ovaries have been removed.

Anon_6061 responded:
This is somewhat perplexing! Here are some possibilities that come to mind (from what I know anyway).

If you eat any estrogenic foods (soy is one example) or take any estrogenic supplements then it could possibly increase your estrogen enough to not be in post-menopausal range.

If you are overweight, fat produces estrogen (I believe in the form of estrone).

Your adrenals should be producing testosterone and some of that may be converting to estrogen. However, it would not seem your estrogen levels would exceed post-meno range if this is the only source of estrogen.

Since you were so young at the time of your hyst, was it for endometriosis? If so, then you may still have some endo implants and those produce estrogen.

Even though your labs show you are not post-menopausal, your estrogen may still be on the low side which can cause the symptoms you are experiencing.

What were your lab results and the lab's ranges? Did you get the following tests - FSH, estradiol, estrone, testosterone?

I had a hysterectomy with ovary removal and my estradiol and/or estrone levels have to be quite a bit higher than menopausal range to treat my symptoms. Otherwise, I cannot function due to lack of sleep, suicidal depression, anxiety, no motivation, no concentration (sort of like ADD), poor memory, etc.

Since the ovaries of an intact woman produce hormones into her 80's, I don't have any plans to wean off estrogen. I wish though there was some form of testosterone that would restore my sex drive, muscle mass, skin, and hair.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Physical activity at midlifeExpert
Regular physical activity is a vital part of every midlife woman?s life, preserving physical and mental health and improving quality of ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website