Skip to content
Stopping HRT
wvdwright posted:
I had a complete hysterectomy 19 years ago, I am now 52, and have been on the Vivelle-dot patch for approx. 10 years. I would like to quit using the patches. Has anyone done this and what might the side effects be?

Anon_6061 responded:
I also had a complete hysterectomy. I know the recommendation for HRT is "the lowest dose for the shortest period of time." But I don't think this applies to those of use in surgical menopause (or those whose ovaries "crapped out" after hysterectomy).

Since I am at a disadvantage compared to women in natural menopause (whose ovaries continue producing hormones into their 80's), I don't plan to stop taking estrogen (I'm 57). When my estrogen is low, every aspect of my life suffers. I am suicidal, anxious, can't sleep, can't concentrate, have absolutely no motivation. the list goes on and on. So I don't even want to think about being without estrogen.

Fat makes estrogen so if you have some extra weight, that may be enough and you may do find going off the patches. I don't have any extra "cushioning" (besides that awful hysterectomy belly) so I need my estrogen!!

I wish there was some sort of testosterone replacement that would work like naturally menopausal ovaries to produce a good level of testosterone (even at age 70 ), some of which is converted into estrogen. But without ovaries, I have to accept the next best thing - ERT.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Physical activity at midlifeExpert
Regular physical activity is a vital part of every midlife woman?s life, preserving physical and mental health and improving quality of ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website