Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Spotting during perimenopause
An_254740 posted:
Hello everyone, [br>[br>I'm 47 years old and have been having perimenauposal symptoms for over 2 years, mainly sporadic night sweats. [br>My periods have always very irregular (long cycles) for all of my life, but for the last year or so they ranged from 28 to 38 days. [br>My question is relating to spotting. [br>[br>My last periods started October 9th, and were a bit longer than usual. About 4 days after finishing I had 3 days of very light spotting, which is kind of unusual for me. I haven't had a period until I started spotting on Dec. 4th, two months after my last period. This spotting is also very light, as I do not need to use any pantyliner; it's mainly small streaks on the toilet paper pinkish to light red in color. I do not have any other physical symptoms, besides some slight pulling sensation in my right ovary on a couple of occasions that lasted only brief moments. I now have been spotting for 2 weeks, and I was wondering if I should be worried? I'm under a tremendous amount of stress right now, can it have an effect on this irregularity? [br>[br>Thank you in advance to anyone who might enlighten me.

Anon_6061 responded:
This all sounds normal for perimenopause when cycles and bleeding can be unpredictable.

oiseau replied to Anon_6061's response:

Today I thought it was over as I went to the bathroom three times without anything on the TP. But tonight I found some light red streaks on the TP again. *sigh*

I really appreciate your taking the time to respond, thank you.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to oiseau's response:
Dear oiseau,
Indeed, spotting is a very common problem in perimenopause. As you may have been reading in our posts, many women experience this, as our progesterone levels go down (we don't ovulate as well, and when you ovulate, you make a good amount of the hormone progesterone, which acts as the policeman of the lining of the uterus). However, if spotting becomes a persistent problem, I do encourage women to check in with their health care providers-because spotting can be a sign of something abnormal in the lining of the uterus, such as a polyp, or even something like hyperplasia, which can be a precursor of a tumor of the lining of the uterus.Sa again, if the spotting is persistent, do check in with your health care provider, who may want to do an ultrasound, or biopsy of the lining of the uterus (which are office procedures.) to rule out these abnormalities.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

An_254740 replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
Hello Dr. Minkin,

Thank you so much for your answer.
I was wondering if the color of the discharge matters in determining if there may be any underlying issues besides perimenopause? Now it's very light pink on the tissue paper (about 1 time out of 4). Is it normal to feel slight pulling sensations in the ovary area during this time?

I really appreciate your help, as I live in Canada and do not have a health care provider; because of the state of our health care system it's almost impossible to see a doctor for other things than a ear infection or something that can be treated in 5 minutes.

Thank you again so much.

diytestkitsdotcom responded:
Hi An_254740,

Yes, stress is indeed a factor when it comes to a woman's menstrual cycle. Along with weight issues and physical activity, stress can wreak havoc on your cycle.

The more that you are stressing over things in your life, the more that you are affecting your hormones negatively which can cause certain irregularities on the way your body works. This is especially true when your stress become anxiety.

Anxiousness create a lot of tension and the psychological repercussions you can suffer because of it are both destructive and disruptive. And this is definitely something you should avoid.

Hopefully your situation will get better and you can be as comfortable as you can be. Best of luck!

buffym replied to diytestkitsdotcom's response:
I've been having the same symptom and it's worrying me. Glad to see others experiencing it too. Hope it's just normal

oiseau replied to diytestkitsdotcom's response:
Thank you so much for your response diytestkitdotcom.

I finally stopped spotting after almost 3 weeks, and had a heavier than usual period 3 weeks later. About a week after that period was over I started having a lot of ovary and pelvic pain; today is day 17 after the beginning of my last period and I'm spotting again, but without any pain whatsoever. It really seems like my whole reproductive system is going haywire.

I am going through a VERY stressful time in my life for numerous reasons, and I suppose all this anxiety doesn't help, as you say.... I do not have access to a doctor as I said earlier so this adds to my anxiety.

Again thank you, and hopefully this is all just part of the normal happenings of premenopause.

oiseau replied to oiseau's response:
I forgot to ask.... Dr. Mirkin (or anyone who might help), how can I know if what I'm having is a light period VS spotting?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to oiseau's response:
Dear Oiseau,
It is very hard to differentiate between heavy spotting and a light period. As I have previously mentioned, the important thing is to rule out abnormalities in the lining of the uterus as opposed to irregularities related to the perimenopause.
I would keep track of all your bleeding, and do set up an appointment with a health care provider for some point in the future. (even if it's several months from now)-and you can bring in your charts of calendars, with bleeding dates, and amounts. That would be helpful to your health care provider. And a good midwife or nurse practitioner could help sort this out, if you don't have access to an MD.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Fact or fiction? Estrogen therapy is an option for all menopausal womenExpert
Fiction: Only women who no longer have a uterus should consider using esdtrogen-alone therapy (ET). For women with a uterus, the option ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 39 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website