Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Fibroids - what to expect ?
An_246914 posted:
Now that I've been diagnosed with fibroids (Losing my grip thread), I'm not sure what to expect from them.

I am 54, FSH 58.3, no ovulation since December 26, 2012. (bbt chart).

On and off spotting since June 2013, a 48 day stretch of spotting/some clotting, (bleeding stopped for 15 days now) and a persistant dull heavy, ache in my pelvis.

I would like to try to wait it out, hoping they will shrink.

Do they flare up?
Do they settle down ?

What is the expected/usual behavoir of them?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear An_246914,
You certainly are perimenopausal-and the good news is presuming that these are fibroids, they should start shrinking when you are fully menopausal (one year after the last bleeding episodes). Given the persistence of symptoms, your gynecologist will be keeping an eye on them, to make sure that these are indeed just fibroids-very very rarely can fibroids become cancerous; and the way you would know to be suspicious would be if instead of shrinking, they started growing. So you might be asked to do an ultrasound or two to just check on the dimensions of the uterus. So the good news is that you should do well by waiting, and that these fibroids do rate to shrink, and give you fewer symptoms; but you do want to check in periodically with your health care provider.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

An_246914 replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
Well, I had about a minute to feel relieved that my recent tests didn't show anything sinister. Guess the worrying isn't over.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to An_246914's response:
Dear An_246914,
Please don't worry; the statistical chance of these fibroids turning bad is very small (like on the order of 1/500)-which is why watching is absolutely fine. The major point is that if you start feeling more pressure or discomfort, do let your healthcare provider know-so that (s)he can investigate (like do an ultrasound)-but the best thing about menopause for women who do have fibroids or endometriosis is that these conditions do get better-so that if someone is having issues with these, but is perimenopausal-riding the symptoms out is an excellent idea.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Fact or fiction? Estrogen therapy is an option for all menopausal womenExpert
Fiction: Only women who no longer have a uterus should consider using esdtrogen-alone therapy (ET). For women with a uterus, the option ... More
Was this Helpful?
26 of 40 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website