Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Tired?
ajk1962f posted:
Anyone become more tired and/or experience a noticeable lack of energy during menopause? I have mild hot flashes, but not that often right now, and they don't disturb my sleep. I do have trouble sleeping for other reasons, but I've been seeking help with that.

Regardless of other contributing factors, I do want to know if menopause can cause or increase tiredness. As of now, Aunt Flo has not visited me for three months.

ajk1962f

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear ajk1962f,
Fatigue is not a classic menopausal symptom by itself. It certainly can be for women whose sleep is significantly disrupted. So I would look into other potential causes-such as thyroid disorders. Do check in with your primary care provider.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

ajk1962f replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
Hi Dr. Minkin, and happy holidays. I did have my thyroid tested in September of this year as part of routine blood work. The results were normal. I also had blood work in early December (though I did not ask to have thyroid level), and again results for standard tests were all normal.

Guess I'll keep focusing on de-stressing and on maintaining a regular sleep schedule.

Thanks,

ajk1962f

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Physical activity at midlifeExpert
Regular physical activity is a vital part of every midlife woman?s life, preserving physical and mental health and improving quality of ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website