Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Labia sores teatment help?
car0linafran posted:
Does anyone have a natural treatment for a sore caused by dryness during intercourse? I don't mean a lubricant. This is in reference to treating the effects of dryness after intercourse. Most products burn (I know that any open sore burns but in addition I have sensitive skin). Would something like coconut oil work? Petroleum jelly gives me a yeast infection, so that is not an option.

dee22552255 responded:
You may be experiencing 'fissures', cracks in your skin. I was having so many even from just wiping after going to the bathroom or gentle cleansing in the shower. "Thank you menopause".

I wish women talked about these 'secret' menopause issues. My doctor told me this is so common. So many women suffer from this.

I also have sensitive skin and am post breast cancer. Ask your doctor to prescribe Premarin. It is an estrogen cream. This can be used internally or externally for dryness. In my case, she wrote for me to use a tiny amount (less than a pencil erasure size) 1 time daily. (Hear the angels sing!!) Oh the relief. One time a day has made my life so much better, no more fissures for me!!! No more of those cracks that made me want to cry. I do not miss a day because I did, one time, and developed a tiny fissure. No more missed days now, so simple it is hard to believe!!!

I hope this helps you. I am so hoping it will, for you and for every other woman who reads this. Oh, and 1 tube lasts soooo long, it is worth whatever the price. Honest.

Best wishes for a happy fissure free New Year.

car0linafran replied to dee22552255's response:
Thank you for your replly. It was helpful for the suggestion and for the comiseration as well! Premarin indeed does help to prevent this menopausal iritation. I was looking for something natural for treatment. I have used tea tree oil and have found it to be gentle enough and healing also.

car0linafran responded:
For anyone who has this painful circumstance I have used tea tree oil and have found it to be gentle enough and healing also.

If a doctor or other medical personnel thinks this is inappropriate or potentially harmful please respond, but it seems to work for this situation for me.

dee22552255 replied to car0linafran's response:
I would be interested in an answer too. My concern with Tea Tree Oil is not just the smell that is obvious of being in use but a daily use of an anti-fungal in such a tender area. Will it create a resistance for yeast infections or other fungal infections in the future? Also, if it is still in the area during intercourse it may be inserted into the vaginal area. Tea Tree Oil is natural and gentle but I'm pretty sure it is not intended for internal use especially in the vaginal area.

I wish you luck on this question. As for me, Premarin is new for me, but is helping so much. To walk away from it, I will need some amazing recommendations for an all natural product. Don't get me wrong, I am all for the natural approach, but I have suffered with fissures for so long, the relief from a bit of estrogen is working for me.
My best wishes to you.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to dee22552255's response:
Dear Dee22552255 and carOlinafran,
I have had a few patients who occasionally use Tea Tree Oil, without significant side effects. However, if the Premarin cream is working, I'd continue to use it; you don't need much, and systemic absorption is minimal. If the source of the Premarin is concerning to you, another option is Estrace cream; estrace is bioidentical and derived from plants-it is a prescription, but your health care provider can write you the prescription
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Fact or fiction? Estrogen therapy is an option for all menopausal womenExpert
Fiction: Only women who no longer have a uterus should consider using esdtrogen-alone therapy (ET). For women with a uterus, the option ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 39 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website