Includes Expert Content
shewil posted:
I have a question, I recently went to the doctor because i was bleeding very heavily. I have been told that I was going through Menopause, and after about a year or a little longer I would experience a very heavy period where I would bleed a clot heavily (I could not move or caugh without passing clots and would have to wear diapers). Anyway, I went to the Dr and he said that my lining was very thick and he took a biopsy which he said was negative for cancer or anything else. He did state that he wanted to schedule me for a D&C, which he said that they would insert some chemical to burn out tissue. This does not sound the same as a regular D&C.

How is this different, and what can I expect?

Thank you,
Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Shewil,
Indeed you are correct; with a traditional D and C, you scrape out the lining of the uterus (the endometrium)-that's it. What your doctor is describing is a type of ablation procedure. Most ablation procedures actually use heat, or radio waves, or hot water, to destroy the lining of the uterus (to keep it from growing again.) So you can read about different types of ablations (there is information on the website of ACOG, the American congress of obstetricians and gynecologists.) Many women do have ablations done in the perimenopausal time frame, as they can suffer from recurrent heavy periods. It is an outpatient procedure; I describe it to my patients as a sort of fancy D and C.
Recuperation is in general fairly quick.
Good luck, and hope all goes well for you.
Mary Jane