Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
D&C
shewil posted:
I have a question, I recently went to the doctor because i was bleeding very heavily. I have been told that I was going through Menopause, and after about a year or a little longer I would experience a very heavy period where I would bleed a clot heavily (I could not move or caugh without passing clots and would have to wear diapers). Anyway, I went to the Dr and he said that my lining was very thick and he took a biopsy which he said was negative for cancer or anything else. He did state that he wanted to schedule me for a D&C, which he said that they would insert some chemical to burn out tissue. This does not sound the same as a regular D&C.

How is this different, and what can I expect?

Thank you,

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Shewil,
Indeed you are correct; with a traditional D and C, you scrape out the lining of the uterus (the endometrium)-that's it. What your doctor is describing is a type of ablation procedure. Most ablation procedures actually use heat, or radio waves, or hot water, to destroy the lining of the uterus (to keep it from growing again.) So you can read about different types of ablations (there is information on the website of ACOG, the American congress of obstetricians and gynecologists.) Many women do have ablations done in the perimenopausal time frame, as they can suffer from recurrent heavy periods. It is an outpatient procedure; I describe it to my patients as a sort of fancy D and C.
Recuperation is in general fairly quick.
Good luck, and hope all goes well for you.
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Estring worked for me
I've had this problem periodically since menopause - I am now 67. Cure for me was Estring, which actually causes a pleasant sort of sweet ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website