Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
hair falling out
lovesdogs1 posted:
I stopped birth control last April... soon after, my menapausal sypmtoms started... and i have not had a period.. SO.... my hair is shedding/falling out badly!... I have baby fine hair anyway, so this is so depressing... it started about 3 mos after i came off birth control and went into full blow menapause..... so i know it has to be hormonal.. I had blood work done to check if anything else is going on.. nothing... had a salava test done and am on Pogrestrone creme.. almost 3 mos now, but my hair is STILL coming out... ..... HELP!.. can anyone tell me how long this will last?? I'm on pogestrone, and taking a vitamin for my hair, skin and nails......

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear lovesdogs1,
One thing you should have checked would be thyroid function; hypothyroidism can lead to significan hair loss, and thyroid problems can increase as we get older.
Can menopause lead to hair loss? The scientific literature on this is actually conflicting; however, many folks do believe that the lack of estrogen can contribute to hair loss. Progesterone probably won't be too helpful here; estrogen would be more likely to help. Your health care provider can prescribe for you bioidentical estrogens, if you would prefer them. Bioidentical estrogens are available in gel or patch forms, and are plant derived. There is also an oral natural micronized progesterone that can be prescribed with the bioidentical estrogens.
So do consult with your health care provider; and (s)he should be able to help here,
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Physical activity at midlifeExpert
Regular physical activity is a vital part of every midlife woman?s life, preserving physical and mental health and improving quality of ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 30 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website