Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
HCG shots and blood clots
teenteen22 posted:
I have been considering doing the HCG shots and weight management but I worry about blood clots. My GYN gave me birth control pills to try and help me manage my menopause symptoms four years ago. I threw two blood clots in my left leg and have not been able to take the birth control pills and have managed as best I can. Hot flashes are the devil as is insomnia! Anyway, I'm concerned that HCG may cause me to throw blood clots again since it is a hormone.
Is it safe for someone with my history of blood clots when taking birth control?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear teenteen22,
The answer is "unknown". HCG is not an estrogen; however, it is possible that it could stimulate estrogen production, indirectly. I never recommend HCG for weight loss. However, losing weight will indeed decrease your chance of developing blood clots in the future. So I would recommend sticking to a good nutrition plan and getting lots of exercise.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Menopause - Younger Ages
For those of you out there that are going/gone through menopause at an early age, Yes it happens. It's unusual but it happened to me. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
20 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website