Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Birth controll pills and peri
An_254570 posted:
Hi Dr Minkin,
It's been already 3,5 month since I am on Gildess Fe 1/20 , taking it continuosly, and my night sweats and anxiety came back a week ago. I try to do my best not to think about my perimenopausal symptoms, but some days I am just checking my symptoms on the internet. before I started the pill, my estrogen was 40pg/ml , and my progesteron was
< 0.5 ng/ml. Is it still ok to feel like I mentioned, or would need to change pills. ( I had to take citapram 20mg and 0,5mg alprazam for PMS and panic, and now the doctor increased it 3 weeks ago to 30mg, )
I know, I am not easy, sorry for disturbing you but your advice would help me a lot!
Thanks!

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear An_254570,
Good question; from a theoretical basis, a 20 microgram pill should have enough estrogen to take care of your night sweats. However, occasionally I do see folks who will respond to increasing the strength of their birth control pill to a 30 microgram pill (there is a variety of the Gildess 1/20 at a 30 microgram dose). If you are still experiencing sweats at that level, then I would suggest looking at other causes of sweats (which are possible)-but I'd go after the obvious perimenopausal explanation first.
Good luck, and I hope you feel better soon.
Mary Jane

An_254570 replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
Thank you Dr Minkin for your answer.
I observed that the night sweats are coming back when I am stressed out. Hopefully soon most of the symptom will disappear.
thanks again

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Darkened Skin above my lip
What can I do about dark skin above my upper lip. I have gone through menopause already. I have tried skin bleach to no avail. What do I ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website