Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
26 w two kids and just had a total hysterectomy!
mommy8358 posted:
I'm 26 years old and had a total abdominal hysterectomy in November.Due to aggressive pre cancerous cells. I am concerned because my hair has started to come out in the handfuls when i shower, I also don't seem to have any moisture in it no matter what I do or try. Is this normal ? Even my scalp is dry, I have never had this problem before.I have tried oil treatments, Mane and Tail, Salon Brand treatments, everything I can think of. What else is there for me to do? I have only been married for three years and wouldn't mind continuing to be appealing to my husband.

Please Help!

momuv4girls responded:
You don't mention if you're on any hormone replacement meds?

Have you discussed this with your OB?

-Kathleen

Anon_6061 responded:
I know all too well how devastating it is to lose hair! I also had a hysterectomy and lost a lot of hair. Most of the loss was 3 to 4 months post-op but it continued to shed more than normal. I am on estrogen but that doesn't seem to make much difference. But I definitely need the estrogen for all the other symptoms.

I am sorry you had "aggressive pre-cancerous cells." I actually didn't have anything wrong with my uterus, just a problem ovary but all my organs were removed (even though there was no cancer). I am still somewhat in a state of shock over it all. Are you taking estrogen especially since you are so young?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Mommy8358,
Did they take out your ovaries as well? or not? The reason I ask is that even if they didn't, you can have a short term drop in your estrogen levels; hopefully shortly the ovaries will kick in. If they were taken out as well, I hope you are on estrogen therapy. And I hope you are taking enough-the younger the woman, the more hormonal therapy in general that she will need. And if your ovaries are there, you still may well benefit by taking some extra estrogen at least temporarily.
Do speak with your gynecologist about this. And have you checked your thyroid function? If not, please do-thyroid abnormalities can be part of this type of problem.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

mommy8358 replied to Anon_6061's response:
I am from a very small town and my gyno. actually transferred so my hysto was done by a temp until we receive the new doctor so i havent even had my post op appointment . They did leave one ovarie and said that there was a chance it would have to be removed later on bc it was very scarred up. Doctor said it was worth a shot tho. I have tried to make appointments to see my doctor but bc of being so shorthanded it will be another few months before they can fit me into the schedule. Lovley perks of a small town. I've considered finding another doctor but the closest is almost an hour away. I am not on any estrogen or hormones and im begining to think that would help

Anon_6061 replied to mommy8358's response:
Wow - another few months? IMO this is unacceptable. They should have accounted for this shortage in your follow-up care before they did the hysterectomy. It's important that you be checked to be sure healing is progressing normally.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to mommy8358's response:
Dear mommy8358,
Sorry for the lack of continuity of care. However, if it is going to be a while before they can take care of you locally, I'd go for a longer distance and see someone a bit out of the area. An exam shouldn't take too long; and they could get you started on some estrogen, and also order a set of thyroid functions (which if they haven't been tested should be)-
Good luck, and I hope you are better soon,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Fact or fiction? Estrogen therapy is an option for all menopausal womenExpert
Fiction: Only women who no longer have a uterus should consider using esdtrogen-alone therapy (ET). For women with a uterus, the option ... More
Was this Helpful?
26 of 40 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website