Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
perimeopause
An_255627 posted:
Very miserable, and depressed, no insurance, just had PMS sort of taken care of with natural supplements, now I am in perimenopause and have every stupid, stinking symptom: depression, can't sleep, night sweats, dry vagina, irritable, moody, teary, overweight, sluggish, thinning hair, digestive problems, nothing seems to agree with my stomach, and just plain miserable. Don't know what to do or where to turn., Too sick of this and it's only just begun, heard it can take anywhere from 5-10 YEARS OMG, just kill me now. Still have horrible cramps for 3 incapacitating days each month with the occasional migraine thrown in. Still have "regular" periods so far. Haven;'t seen a MD in 18 years. Was on antidepressants for 10 years, not now, cannot take the side effects. Cannot go on HRT due to Breast cancer on both sides of family, Cannot take birth control, causes me severe depression. Just plain desperate and sad.Know I am not alone.

atti_editor responded:
Hello,

I am so sorry that you are experiencing all of these symptoms. I found a couple of articles that talk about alternative treatments for perimenopause and menopause (diet, exercise, handling your emotions, etc) that I think you might find useful.

I hope that you are able to use some of these tips to find some relief from your symptoms.

Best wishes,

Atti

An_255627 responded:
Thank you so much!

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear An_255627,
I would agree completely with Atti's suggestions, and there's lots of helpful information there. A couple of thoughts: the least expensive and most likely to help intervention would be exercise, in whatever form you can do it: walking, jogging, home exercise CD"s-anything like that would be helpful. Your local Planned Parenthood has services for sliding scale fees, and they do a lot more than just birth control-they also do lots of perimenopause management. One option that might be reasonable: you probably haven't tried birth control pills in several years, would be my guess. There are a lot of new pills out there which are really low dose, and might well help with lots of these symptoms.
so read Atti's suggestions, try some good exercise, and think about visiting your folks at Planned Parenthood- (which really should just be called "women's health.")
Good luck,
Mary Jane

nanakids replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
My doctor wants to put me on a pill that will stop my peroid im having them like every two weeks.

crazy95il replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
Thank you for the suggestions!

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Physical activity at midlifeExpert
Regular physical activity is a vital part of every midlife woman?s life, preserving physical and mental health and improving quality of ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 30 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website