Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Is this really starting?
bk061500 posted:
I had an appointment with an endocrinologist today because I thought that my thyroid was acting up. My regular doctor doesn't believe that my hypothyroidism is acting up even though an ultrasound show that I have a goiter. The endocrinologist did a blood test to see where my thyroid levels are but seemed skeptical about my thyroid meds being adjusted. I am always cold, very irritable, am having trouble sleeping and my concentration and memory are nonexistent. My period is slightly irregular and I can't seem to lose an extra 10 pounds.

After I left my appointment I talked to a friend that suggested that what I might be going through is perimenopause. I am 47 years old. I am confused. I was hoping this would be as simple as adjusting my synthroid prescription. I am a little overwhelmed thinking that this might be menopause
I don't want to take any drugs. I want to handle this with diet. I am just hoping that diet and exercise can offer some relief. I guess that I am a little scared. When I stared researching perimenopause I couldn't believe how many symptoms I was experiencing. Does anybody have any good reference source for dealing with this naturall

atti_editor responded:
Hi bk061500,

Here are some resources that I found that you might find helpful:

Both have some good tips that can start you off in the right direction. I hope that you are able to find something that works for you. Other board members might also have some tips that have worked for them.

Best wishes,
Atti

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Fact or fiction? Estrogen therapy is an option for all menopausal womenExpert
Fiction: Only women who no longer have a uterus should consider using esdtrogen-alone therapy (ET). For women with a uterus, the option ... More
Was this Helpful?
26 of 40 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website