Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
help
An_255649 posted:
I haven't had a period in two years and four months .Started having discharge no pain itching or burning . Discharge is odd , small amount of blood staining . Reminds me of having a period. I am 56 turning 57in 2 months . Had two d and c 's last one was during my late fourties.What is going on here ?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear An_255640,
Indeed, you could be experiencing a surge of ovarian activity; it does happen. However, you do need to check in with your health care provider. Any bleeding more than a year after your last menstrual period needs to be evaluated, to make sure there isn't something unusual going on in the lining of your uterus-an ultrasound or endometrial biopsy is likely to be a suggestion from your gynecologist.
good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Physical activity at midlifeExpert
Regular physical activity is a vital part of every midlife woman?s life, preserving physical and mental health and improving quality of ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 30 found this helpful