Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
anyone else have the same symptoms?
An_255659 posted:
I am a 41 year old woman-i've had my period since I was 9, and it has NEVER been regular-VERY heavy bleeding,even at 9, comes in whenever it feels like it,lots of pain, irritability, etc. Frequently, I have had it twice a month, with only 1 week off when I DON'T have it. I have had my period very irregularly for years, even taking the pill, the ring, etc., My family has a history of starting periods early, being irregular, and ending them early, also. My mom was 43 when she stopped, my grandmother was 42, and several of my cousins have stopped in their early 40's. I have had 2 children. I don't know if this makes a difference. For the past 2 years, my periods have been-pardon the expression-screwed up. (even more than normal) Hot flashes on and off, period sometimes not coming in for 2 or 3 months (THAT has NEVER happened before), then when it comes in it just about KILLS me, mood swings like crazy, etc. I don't have any insurance-can't afford it, no matter WHAT Obama says (lol), so I'm trying to reach out to other women who may have either already gone through this or may be experiencing the same thing. My family, of course, have all told me that I'm DEFINITELY going to go through menopause soon-just wondering what all of you may think...THANKS!!!!

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear An_255659,
Family history is important when it comes to age at menopause; so if everyone in the family does go through menopause early, then you tend to too. These symptoms you describe aren't classic menopause symptoms; I would look to other potential causes as well. One source of good gyn care is Planned Parenthood; they do lots of regular gyn care that's not related to contraception, and they have sliding scales for payment. So I would suggest you see someone to try to get you some relief,
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Physical activity at midlifeExpert
Regular physical activity is a vital part of every midlife woman?s life, preserving physical and mental health and improving quality of ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website