Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Menopause treatment
chrisrae59 posted:
I have suspected for over a year that I could be in menopause. As a person that used to be so on top of things, I have been struggling for over a couple of years to stay focused. Most of the time I feel disconnected mentally and somewhat in a brain fog. Very emotional and fatigued and memory is down the tubes. During a recent checkup, I insisted that my doctor do a hormone panel on my bloodwork and was told it showed I'm "midway". I have yet to get an adequate explanation of that and if it is time to start some type of hormone replacement. I'm very frustrated! What does it mean to be 'midway' and would hormones be beneficial?
Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear chrisrae59,
I'm not sure what that term means either. Do you have a uterus? are you getting periods? If you have had a hysterectomy, then if you could send in your hormone levels I could try to help to interpret them. If you have been having periods, let us know what your periods have been up to, to try to figure this out. Occasionally women do report this type of focus issue; some folks do you use ADHD type medicines; sometimes hormonal therapy can be of assistance. So let us all know what has been going on with you hormonally,
Good luck,
Mary Jane
chrisrae59 replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
I do still have a uterus but had a uterian oblation 10 years ago, so no longer have periods.
Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to chrisrae59's response:
Dear Chrisrae59,
Then one would need to rely on blood work, since we don't have a menstrual history,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Menopause - Younger Ages
For those of you out there that are going/gone through menopause at an early age, Yes it happens. It's unusual but it happened to me. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 32 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website