Skip to content

Announcements

Exciting News for WebMD Members!

We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

What Do You Need to Do?

The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

Includes Expert Content
    Vaginal infections
    An_255672 posted:
    Is it common for a woman who has gone through menopause to get more vaginal infections??? I am 55 yrs. old and not sexually active but am currently on hormones but slowly coming off of them and in the last year have had 2 bacterial vaginal infections. Needless to say I'm baffled why this is happening!!

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
    Dear An_255672 and mcpo1,
    I have to answer this with some physiology, When the vaginal tissue gets dry from a lack of estrogen, the good guy bacteria of the vagina, the lactobacilli, don't like the environment-and they die off (they love estrogenized cells) These lactobacilli create an acidic environment, which keeps the bad guys away. When the bad guys show up, they can cause odors and other symptoms; sometimes women even get urinary tract infections as well. So using vaginal estrogens can be quite helpful to encourage the good guys to hang around. RepHresh also can be helpful, in helping to keep the environment acidic. And if women prefer, there is now an oral non estrogen medication that can help with vaginal moisture.
    So do consider some interventions if this is a problem,
    Good luck,
    Mary Jane

oblina58 responded:
    I am post menopausal 8 yrs. and diagnosed with BV 1/2014 and no amount of medication has "cured" the issue. However, I started using an estrogen vaginal cream and a vinegar douche 2x's a week. It seems to control odor and dryness. April 2015, doctor's visual exam, prior to swab for BV, said I looked pink, healthy and no odor. Swab tested positive for BV and another medication. At this point, I have not experienced improvement. In fact, odor and discomfort increased. Sticking to my regime.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

perimenapausal help that works for me.
    I'm 47 jus started expeiraning hot flashes again after not having them for 10Yrs. Now I'm not having periods for 2M Now and crave sugar for ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website