Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Vaginal infections
An_255672 posted:
Is it common for a woman who has gone through menopause to get more vaginal infections??? I am 55 yrs. old and not sexually active but am currently on hormones but slowly coming off of them and in the last year have had 2 bacterial vaginal infections. Needless to say I'm baffled why this is happening!!

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear An_255672 and mcpo1,
I have to answer this with some physiology, When the vaginal tissue gets dry from a lack of estrogen, the good guy bacteria of the vagina, the lactobacilli, don't like the environment-and they die off (they love estrogenized cells) These lactobacilli create an acidic environment, which keeps the bad guys away. When the bad guys show up, they can cause odors and other symptoms; sometimes women even get urinary tract infections as well. So using vaginal estrogens can be quite helpful to encourage the good guys to hang around. RepHresh also can be helpful, in helping to keep the environment acidic. And if women prefer, there is now an oral non estrogen medication that can help with vaginal moisture.
So do consider some interventions if this is a problem,
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

mood swings/menopause
I have so much empathy for all women that go through this,either mild or severe.I was put on a hormone,very low dose because I have 4 ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website