Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
should i mention this ?
An_255732 posted:
I have a problem to think about -at 60 and no sex for a while. last time it was painful I now have the dilemma -should I tell a new partner that I may have problems with penetration.? I have just taken eastriol tabs so hoping it will help .
Now I have experienced this before and this partner is younger so may not understand. Or should I hope all goes well and risk this problem.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear An_255732,
I hope your partner would be understanding-what he needs to understand is that your problem is very common, and with a good patient partner and a bit of time, you will be better. You can share information with him from a bunch of websites, including the North American Menopause Society web site, menopause.org; or vaginaldryness.com. Over the counter moisturizers include products like Replens; you mentioned you are on estriol (you didn't mention whether this was oral or vaginal). There are lots of vaginal estrogen products available, which are quite effective and safe; and there is also now an oral non hormonal medication for vaginal dryness. Also make sure that you have some good lubricants available for sexual activity.
Good luck-you should do well-
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

mood swings/menopause
I have so much empathy for all women that go through this,either mild or severe.I was put on a hormone,very low dose because I have 4 ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website