Includes Expert Content
should i mention this ?
An_255732 posted:
I have a problem to think about -at 60 and no sex for a while. last time it was painful I now have the dilemma -should I tell a new partner that I may have problems with penetration.? I have just taken eastriol tabs so hoping it will help .
Now I have experienced this before and this partner is younger so may not understand. Or should I hope all goes well and risk this problem.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear An_255732,
I hope your partner would be understanding-what he needs to understand is that your problem is very common, and with a good patient partner and a bit of time, you will be better. You can share information with him from a bunch of websites, including the North American Menopause Society web site, menopause.org; or vaginaldryness.com. Over the counter moisturizers include products like Replens; you mentioned you are on estriol (you didn't mention whether this was oral or vaginal). There are lots of vaginal estrogen products available, which are quite effective and safe; and there is also now an oral non hormonal medication for vaginal dryness. Also make sure that you have some good lubricants available for sexual activity.
Good luck-you should do well-
Mary Jane