Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
thickening of the uterine lining
supermom1949 posted:
What can cause the uterine lining to thicken. Also having pelvic pain and had slight spotting.

atti_editor responded:
Hi supermom1949,

While we cannot give medical advice or diagnosis, you might want to take a look at this information on endometrial hyperplasia -- a thickening of the uterine lining post menopause due to excess estrogen. Signs and symptoms include abnormal uterine bleeding. Have you spoken with your doctor or gynecologist about this? If not, I encourage you to make an appointment to do so. An examination by a medical professional is necessary to determine what it is your are experiencing and what, if any, treatments are necessary.

Best wishes,
Atti

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Supermom 1949,
I agree with Atti completely-thickening of the lining of the uterus associated with any type of bleeding in a post menopausal woman needs to be evaluated. The good news is that if one does have endometrial hyperplasia, which is a possibility, it can be treated with progesterone therapy.
One question that I would ask(although I hate to! but it might be helpful.): are you overweight? If you are, this could give you a really good reason to lose weight. Believe it or not, fat tissue actually makes estrogen, which can stimulate the lining of the uterus-and lead to hyperplasia. So weight loss can be very helpful.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

supermom1949 replied to atti_editor's response:
Thanks much for the advice. Will be having a D&C for further evaluation in hopes that it is nothing serious.

supermom1949 replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
Thanks much for the advice. Will be having a D&C for further evaluation in hopes that it is nothing serious.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Menopause - Younger Ages
For those of you out there that are going/gone through menopause at an early age, Yes it happens. It's unusual but it happened to me. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
20 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website