Includes Expert Content
thickening of the uterine lining
supermom1949 posted:
What can cause the uterine lining to thicken. Also having pelvic pain and had slight spotting.

atti_editor responded:
Hi supermom1949,

While we cannot give medical advice or diagnosis, you might want to take a look at this information on endometrial hyperplasia -- a thickening of the uterine lining post menopause due to excess estrogen. Signs and symptoms include abnormal uterine bleeding. Have you spoken with your doctor or gynecologist about this? If not, I encourage you to make an appointment to do so. An examination by a medical professional is necessary to determine what it is your are experiencing and what, if any, treatments are necessary.

Best wishes,
Atti

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Supermom 1949,
I agree with Atti completely-thickening of the lining of the uterus associated with any type of bleeding in a post menopausal woman needs to be evaluated. The good news is that if one does have endometrial hyperplasia, which is a possibility, it can be treated with progesterone therapy.
One question that I would ask(although I hate to! but it might be helpful.): are you overweight? If you are, this could give you a really good reason to lose weight. Believe it or not, fat tissue actually makes estrogen, which can stimulate the lining of the uterus-and lead to hyperplasia. So weight loss can be very helpful.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

supermom1949 replied to atti_editor's response:
Thanks much for the advice. Will be having a D&C for further evaluation in hopes that it is nothing serious.

supermom1949 replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
Thanks much for the advice. Will be having a D&C for further evaluation in hopes that it is nothing serious.