Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
strange pain
missnissa posted:
I'm 57, and menopausal. Does anyone else get a pain like when you really need a wee, but don't need one? My urine is perfectly clear when I have it tested. The pain (more a nagging pain than really painful) lasts between 2 to 4 hours, then I might not experience it again for a few days. I take painkillers when it occurs (usually first thing in a morning) more for discomfort than pain.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Missnissa,
A couple of thoughts. There is a condition called interstitial cystitis which can present this way; it usually does give longer lasting pain than that which you describe-it is a clinical diagnosis, not really any particular test that will prove you have it (you can read a lot about this on some IC web sites)-which will suggest certain foods to avoid, etc. Another possibility is dryness; when the vagina is dry, the lining of the bladder is also quite dry, and can be uncomfortable. Vaginal estrogens are quite safe, and although they don't give you a lot of absorption into the blood stream, they do get absorbed up into your bladder, and can make many women more comfortable.
So those would be the first things I would think about; do check in with your health care provider about some interventions for this discomfort.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

atti_editor responded:
Hi missnissa,

Here is some information on interstitial cystitis that Dr. Minkin mentioned.

Best wishes,
Atti

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to atti_editor's response:
Dear Atti,
Thanks for linking up the IC information for missnissa,
Mary Jane

warkock57 responded:
Hi yes my pain starts every nite lasts 2to 4 hrs on premarin cream dont seem to work my urine is clear also take pain meds also during the day I am fine at night is when it starts nagging pain dryness feel like no relieve found putting a cold pack helps a little really affects my mood trying trying to figure it out had parital hyst in 2000 still have ovaries if I dont feel better april 1st calling obgyn to help keep me informed

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Physical activity at midlifeExpert
Regular physical activity is a vital part of every midlife woman?s life, preserving physical and mental health and improving quality of ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 30 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website