Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
perimenopause and birth control
batgirl1 posted:
I have been having really awful hot flashes, unusual weight gain/problems losing weight and irritability. My doctor says my hormones are in teh menopausal range but I am still having periods, although they are not super regular. My doctor gave me Gildess FE 1/20 BCP's. I have not taken the pill for about ten years, but last time I tried it, I gained about 18-20 pounds very quickly and I am terrified this will happen again, as I am already struggling with trying to lose about 20 more pounds. I read somewhere that low doses or estrogen will actually help weight loss in peri menopause, so I am wondering if my body might react differently this time since I actually am lacking in the hormones. I am 44.
Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Batgirl1,
The Gildess 1/20 is a very low dose pill (20 micrograms of estrogen)-and it is likely that the pills you took many years ago had a higher dose of estrogen. In the perimenopausal time frame, it is indeed possible to gain some weight; about 5-8 pounds is average-but the good new is that it is not each year; just over the time course of the menopausal transition. It is true that women on hormonal therapy tend to gain a bit less.
I would think you would probably feel better on the low dose pill. Now if you feel well on the pill, but do notice a bit of fluid retention (which can happen on pills) you could try a pill that has drospirenone as its progesterone (like Yaz)-drospirenone tends to act like a diuretic, so that you won't retain fluid on it.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Menopause - Younger Ages
For those of you out there that are going/gone through menopause at an early age, Yes it happens. It's unusual but it happened to me. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 32 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website