Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
menopaue and birth control
An_256055 posted:
i'd like to know if I enter menopause while taking b.c, if I will still continue to have a monthly period, or will it stop like it does in menopause?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear An_256055,
Good question. Although with the very low dose of estrogen in most of the pills, you don't build up much of a lining to be shed, you will build up some lining (from the estrogen in the pills) and that will give you a period. The only way to figure out if your ovaries have totally stopped working is to go off the pill, and wait a few weeks, and see how you do-
Good luck,
Mary Jane

An_256055 replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
thanks for the reply. is there any other signs? I take b.c. for "control" of things, and hate the thought of the outcome if not in menopause. I am 47. I don't have hot flash's, but have been having night sweats for a few years.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to An_256055's response:
Dear An_256055,
Alas, not really-the only true test is going off the pills and seeing how you do. I would encourage you to use a barrier method of contraception during this time frame; if in a month you have not gotten a period, you can do a blood test, and measure your estradiol and FSH levels, which will help figure out what your own ovaries are up to (ie, are you still in need of contraception)-but do use a barrier method until you find out the answer,
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Physical activity at midlifeExpert
Regular physical activity is a vital part of every midlife woman?s life, preserving physical and mental health and improving quality of ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 30 found this helpful