Includes Expert Content
Symptoms of Perimenopause
zabou58 posted:
Hi,I am a healthy 56 year old woman who is definitely in perimenopause. I have two specific questions relating to some symptoms I seem to be experiencing and how to deal with them
1) hot flashes- wondering about using something called Remifemerin ( ?) which is a German manufactured version of Black cohosh - sold at whole foods and natural food stores- is this safe? Some days I seem to get the flashes every 15 minutes during the day and several times at night and other days, only once per hour or so. Also urinating more frequently at night- sometimes 3x!
2) have had a dull headache along the back of my neck extending into my lower skull for a few weeks- thought it might be due to diet coke so stopped drinking those but still experiencing- better in the am after sleep ( I get enough sleep and also take power naps during the day). I am active and athletic and normally don't get headaches but this one ( only on my right side) seems not to be going away. Motrin helps a bit. Anyhow, have not called my medical doc yet but would love to hear what others think about this. thanks so much

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear zabout58,
Remifemin does work well for many of my patients, and it has a good safety profile. Another over the counter remedy that seems to help women is Icool, which is similar to the active ingredient in soy-isoflavones; and you can take both, as they have different mechanisms of action. As far as the headaches: it's always worthwhile checking in with your primary care provider as to other causes; however, certainly some women do experience headaches with menopause.
Hope you feel better soon,
Mary Jane