Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Menopausal sympton (maybe)
sharon0053 posted:
Months ago I started experiencing what felt like "heat rash" all over my bbody when I would have hot flashes. The only physical rash (but it has faded) was on my neck. So I decided to try hormone therapy to ssee if there would be some reduction in the "hot flashes" and the "heat rash" (although no physical rashes appear). I'm happy to say that flot flashes have greatly decreased, but whenever I am overheated (too many clothes on inside a building) (or the temp around me is higher than 75 or 80 degrees) I break out inching all over my body. The hormone therapy has not helped this. With it being winter, of course, not much problem cooling off, but what will I do when the weather warms up. I'm very frustrated and miserable. HELP...somebody...somewhere.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Sharon0053,
Interesting problem-we really don't know the exact mechanism of hot flashes; we think that the thermoregulatory center in the brain does become disrupted, and estrogen therapy does help with readjustments. Do try layered dressing-so that you can get rid of centrally generated heat as readily as you can. You may need to check in with your dermatologist as well, if these symptoms do persist.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Menopause - Younger Ages
For those of you out there that are going/gone through menopause at an early age, Yes it happens. It's unusual but it happened to me. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
20 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website