Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
BC pill
An_254570 posted:
Hi Dr Minkin,
I would like to update you about my conditions. I have been on Gildess Fe 1/20 since middle of November. After the firs package i took the placebo pills, but my symptoms were bad. My doctor recommended to skip the placebos, and since then I take it continuously so I do not have a period. I just heard after 90 days is good to have a period. What is your suggestion? Should I take the placebo pills, but I am really scared to have my symptoms back.
My other question: I know the pill tries to balance my hormones, but every once in a while I still have night sweats, anxiety, mood swings no appetite. Is it "normal" to still have it?
Thanks for your support!

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear An_254570,
Good questions. First of all, the major reason to let yourself get period after 3 months is to minimize the chance of getting breakthrough bleeding. There is really no medical necessity of getting a period (there is a pill called Lybrel which is a truly no skip pill-active pills every day of the year). However, a way to minimize getting symptoms if you do take a break would be to take some plain estradiol pills (one or two milligrams a day) for the break-it would keep symptoms down. It is not uncommon to get some breakthrough symptoms as you describe. As long as they aren't driving you crazy, you don't need to worry about them. If they do bother you a lot, you can consider a stronger birth control pill.
Sounds like you are doing pretty well, which is excellent.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

orvos replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
Dear Dr Mikin,
Thank you so much for your support.
I would consider the stronger pill, but I am afraid the pill makes me depressed, (or just the new lifestyle: moving from Eu to US 6 month ago), so the doctor even increased my citapram dose.
It is pretty hard to deal with loosing my carrier,my family, friends, colleges etc, and finding a new profession. (I am also from the medical field, helped so many patient in the last 20 years, and now I am the one, who lost confidence, and need support )
I appreciate all your effort and help!

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Estring worked for me
I've had this problem periodically since menopause - I am now 67. Cure for me was Estring, which actually causes a pleasant sort of sweet ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website