Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Post Menopause
An_256214 posted:
I am 52 years old. I have not had a period in 11 years. Largely due to hormone replacement therapy. In August I started bleeding and cramping and have bled every month since then. The bleeding ranges from spotting to heavy bleeding and passing clots. The longest has lasted sixteen days. My Gyn changed my hormone to progesterone. I thought I was having a reaction to it and had to stop it for a short time. I am back on it, but the bleeding and cramping continues. He did do a uterine biopsy which was negative. I see him again on the 2nd of April. I am concerned. I have always been in relatively good health other that being a little overweight. I did have an experience with polyps 11 years ago that led to a D & C and hormone replacement therapy. Any thoughts?
Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear An_256214,
This is a tough question to answer without a lot more history. were you menopausal 11 years ago, when you were started on hormone therapy? What exact medications were you taking? From the information you've provided so far, it sounds like another D and C may well be indicated; you may indeed have more polyps-
Good luck,
Mary Jane
An_256214 replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
I don't believe I was menopausal when I started hormone therapy. I was taking the generic for FemHRT (Sorry I cannot remember the dosage) Thank you for taking the time to respond.
Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to An_256214's response:
Dear An_256214,
Sounds like a D and C may still be in order-
good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Menopause - Younger Ages
For those of you out there that are going/gone through menopause at an early age, Yes it happens. It's unusual but it happened to me. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 32 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website