Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
just perimenopause?
las66 posted:
I am 47 and have had irregular periods for the last year or so. I also started to put on weight and having hot flashes so I assume I am beginning menopause. My last period had been in Jan and 2 weeks ago I was fairly certain I ovulated. Since then I haven't felt good with some dizziness, nausea, ovary type pain and twinges in pelvic region as well as some mild cramping. I began thinking I might be pregnant but all tests taken have been negative. I started having some spotting and now worse than usual cramps with a backache I don't tend to get. Is it possible symptoms are all exaggerated because of perimenopause?

las66 responded:
I have also had a lot of headaches with the worst being yesterday.

thronemia responded:
I think you are experiencing menopause. Usually menopause stage occurred between the ages of 45 to 55. But menopause is not a disease; it is a phase of life that every woman has to face it in her life at once.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear las66,
Indeed these issues may all be related to perimenopause; the other possibility would be abnormal thyroid function, and that is easy to check out with some simple blood tests. If these symptoms are all perimenopausal, if you are otherwise in good health, you might be a candidate for a low dose birth control pill. That would probably control your symptoms, including your pelvic discomfort.
So do check in with your health care provider for some further evaluations,
good luck,
Mary Jane

las66 replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
Since my period was not quite the same and I've had all these other symptoms, I do plan to go to my doctor soon. We do not use contraception and are very active so my first thought went to pregnancy but thyroid has been on my mind also. Thank you very much for your reply.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

mood swings/menopause
I have so much empathy for all women that go through this,either mild or severe.I was put on a hormone,very low dose because I have 4 ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website