Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at

    Includes Expert Content
    37 and Perimenopausal?
    jinkies posted:
    After the birth of my son 10 months ago, my periods have not been normal. My first period after delivery seemed normal, but after that one, I have had one missed period. Besides the one missed period, and one normal period, I have had 16 bleeding cycles. They are about 11 or 12 days long, and don't "trickle in and taper off" like they used to. It's "Bam here I am" and until my next bleed, I have that "lochia" like discharge.

    I saw my gyno, to rule out polyps, cancer, etc. Mechanically everything is normal. I then went to an endocrinologist who seems to think since I don't have acne that my female hormones are "fine". Really?

    I am only 37 so it is really difficult to find anyone who is in a similar situation. I could go back to my Gyno but I feel like these doctors are clueless. I also cannot take estrogen because of migraine with aura, and after trying the depo shot after delivering my son, I had an anxiety attack that night, became stiff and sore all over my body (especially in the legs and feet) and felt generally unwell.

    What kind of problems do I need to be having to justify blood work for my female hormone balance/imbalance? Clearly 2 12 day periods a month for 7 months is not "fine".
    Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
    Dear Jinkies,
    Was the endocrinologist you saw a reproductive endocrinologist? (or a medical endocrine person?)-I know that may sound silly, but reproductive endocrinologists tend to deal with these situations more regularly. Did you have an ultrasound of your uterus? If that looked excellent, then more hormonal evaluation might be helpful. If you didn't have an ultrasound, something like a sonohysterogram might be very helpful to carefully look at your uterine lining.
    You should not have to put up with 2 12 day periods a month for 7 months-
    Good luck,
    Mary Jane
    jinkies replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
    I did have an ultrasound through my gynocologists office in order to check for the mechanical issues (polyps, fibroids, other tumors, etc) and everything was normal.

    The Endocrinologist was a general endocrinologist but according to person scheduling me she did work with sex hormones as well as the others. I went there because I thought she would have done blood work for various endocrine hormones. So when she only tested for TSH, I felt like I had wasted both our time and my Co-Pay.

    I'm am just confused that telling her I was until a month ago having Anxiety, (I was medicated for that) exhaustion, consecutive illness, and stiff muscles and joints and that I am currently having hot flashes, mood swings, two 12 day periods a month, feeling fatigued, achy, and that my biological mom had her last period at age 44 did not warrant a look at my female hormones. She said it sounded as if I may have had post partum Thyroiditis and that I am getting "back on track" now. ??

    I will talk to my gynocologist again and let her know that the Endocrinologist didn't address my concerns.

    Thank you for your feedback.

    Featuring Experts

    Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

    Helpful Tips

    perimenapausal help that works for me.
    I'm 47 jus started expeiraning hot flashes again after not having them for 10Yrs. Now I'm not having periods for 2M Now and crave sugar for ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website