Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/living-healthy/f/womens-health/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at CommunityManagement@webmd.net

Breast tenderness
    mutt259 posted:
    I'm 57 and went through menopause 2 years ago. over the pased several weeks I've been experiencing tenderness in both breasts and nipples. I've been on a low carb diet, but that's the only change I've made recently in my lefestyle. Is this normal? I'm concerned about breast cancer, but it's both breasts and both nipples and I thought it odd cancer would all of a sudden rear its ugly head and affect both. Any thoughts?

mutt259 responded:
    Oops... I didn't proofread before posting... sorry about the misspellings (imbarrassed).

atti_editor responded:
    Hi mutt259,

While breast pain is a symptom of breast cancer, it is one of the rare signs. Still, you might want to make an appointment with your doctor or OB/GYN to rule out this and other non-cancerous conditions that may effect the breast. While breast tenderness is more common in premenopausal and perimenopausal women, as this article says, some postmenopausal women also experience breast pain and tenderness. This article has some suggestions as to what might be causing your tenderness, including if you are on HRT.

Best wishes,
    Atti

mutt259 replied to atti_editor's response:
    Thanks atti

mutt259 replied to atti_editor's response:
    Atti... I got a chance to read the articles and they were very helpful, especially the 2nd one. Thank you very much for your help!!!!

atti_editor replied to mutt259's response:
    Glad that I could help!

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Hot flash & Night sweat relief
    I am 51 and started perimenopause 6 years ago. I experience hot flashes and night sweats heavily every two weeks - the time I usually ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website