Skip to content
Breast tenderness
mutt259 posted:
I'm 57 and went through menopause 2 years ago. over the pased several weeks I've been experiencing tenderness in both breasts and nipples. I've been on a low carb diet, but that's the only change I've made recently in my lefestyle. Is this normal? I'm concerned about breast cancer, but it's both breasts and both nipples and I thought it odd cancer would all of a sudden rear its ugly head and affect both. Any thoughts?

mutt259 responded:
Oops... I didn't proofread before posting... sorry about the misspellings (imbarrassed).

atti_editor responded:
Hi mutt259,

While breast pain is a symptom of breast cancer, it is one of the rare signs. Still, you might want to make an appointment with your doctor or OB/GYN to rule out this and other non-cancerous conditions that may effect the breast. While breast tenderness is more common in premenopausal and perimenopausal women, as this article says, some postmenopausal women also experience breast pain and tenderness. This article has some suggestions as to what might be causing your tenderness, including if you are on HRT.

Best wishes,
Atti

mutt259 replied to atti_editor's response:
Thanks atti

mutt259 replied to atti_editor's response:
Atti... I got a chance to read the articles and they were very helpful, especially the 2nd one. Thank you very much for your help!!!!

atti_editor replied to mutt259's response:
Glad that I could help!

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Darkened Skin above my lip
What can I do about dark skin above my upper lip. I have gone through menopause already. I have tried skin bleach to no avail. What do I ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website