Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
35 and I believe I'm going through perimenopause.
lizk78 posted:
I have noticed over the past year and a half that my periods have become consistently irregular and have been occurring now with up to 6 or 6 1/2 weeks between cycles. I am 35 years old and have had 3 C-section surgeries over the past 12 years and I am a smoker (which I need to quit that). I have been going over the symptoms that a woman might experience with perimenopause and I have been getting them all for the past year at least. Along with the difficulty sleeping, depression, and hot flashes; it has been pretty uncomfortable. I know that I should be seeing a physician about this and know that test will need to be run; but I don't want to be put on the medications this site recommends could be taken. After doing research on these medications they don't seem to be in very good relation to helping with symptoms or relief from perimenopause. I was wondering if there was anyone else out there who has experienced these symptoms in their mid-30s and what they have done to help it. I know that menopause itself will be coming soon before I know it; but with all the research I have been doing I can almost guarantee that perimenopause is what I am going through. Any advice on what to do or what to ask a doctor would be helpful. Going through these symptoms for the past year have not been fun and I am nervous.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear lizk78,
It is certainly possible that you are perimenopausal; 5% of women do go through menopause by age 45, and unfortunately, smokers do go through menopause 1-2 years earlier than non smokers. There are also many other issues than can present with similar symptoms, such as thyroid disorders. So I would suggest checking in with a health care provider, to figure out what is going on, and to try to come up with some remedies with which you would be comfortable.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

feariedust7 responded:
I am also 35 and am in medical menopause. the only things I take for it is herbs and vitamins and I just had a cbc and ALL of my levels are good for the first time in my life! I'm saying this to let you know if this is what you are going through there are things you can do besides what the doctors want to put you on!

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

mood swings/menopause
I have so much empathy for all women that go through this,either mild or severe.I was put on a hormone,very low dose because I have 4 ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website