Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Pelvic pain in menopause
An_256353 posted:
I am almost 60 and in recent months have experienced pain, similar to pain when your period is about to start. Haven't had a period in years. No bleeding, no discharge, just cramping. I had two episodes 6 months apart but since January pain is almost constant. I've had two ultrasounds and they noticed what they think are tiny fibroids about 1 mm. in size.

The doctor said the options are 1) manage the pain or 2) have a hysterectomy if it's really bothering me. She also said options are limited because of my age.

Might I also add that it was not easy to even get in to see a gynecologist because I'm not pregnant.

So frustrated and upset. I want to know what is wrong before I sign a blank check to have parts removed. What other tests should I ask for? What else can they check?
Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear An_256353,
Pain is an unusual menopausal symptom. Given the basically normal ultrasound, the pain may be totally unrelated to the uterus-don't forget, bowel sits right on top of the uterus, as does the bladder-so the pain certainly could be coming from a non gynecological organ. I would certainly not rush and have a hysterectomy-I agree with your concerns. I would seek out another opinion, to see if someone in examining you can try to figure this out.
Although I am in general not a promoter of lots of radiological exams, this might be one instance that perhaps an MRI of your pelvis might be helpful.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Vaginal Odor
Try using Crystal Salt spray, it kills odor causing bacteria. Spray it on the vulva and upper thighs. Works great, and it is an ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website