Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Menopause - Bleeding 5 weeks straight. Is this normal?
vmarsiano posted:
I am 50 years old and going through menopause. I'll typically get a period every 3 month which will last anywhere from 3 to 10 days. I've been bleeding for almost 5 weeks now. Not heavy but constant. I've made an appoint with my (new) doctor for this Friday. I've been under quite a bit of stress over the last month and I'm sure that can be a contributor. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks for your help!
Val

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear vmarisiano,
You may have seen your doctor already; but indeed this is a common problem in menopause. The major question is is there something in the lining of the uterus causing this (Like a polyp or fibroid) or is this strictly the crazy pattern of hormones in menopause. Your doctor may have asked for an ultrasound of the lining of the uterus, or might suggest a sampling (biopsy) of the lining of the uterus, to rule out abnormalities. If that is all fine, then it is probably hormonal and there are lots of ways (things like progesterone compounds, or birth control pills) that can help get this bleeding episode under control and prevent new ones.
Good luck,
MaryJane

suzheart10 replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
I am having the same issues been bleeding since march 13 my periods have been weird had one in july 2013 then stopped then in Nov, or dec had one lasted 3-4 days Jan 2014 kinda normal Feb lasted 7-10 days or so and march 13 till now wont stop bleeding, some days are so bad and others days are like spotting, called my doctor and seeing her on monday April 14 Am I normal or is there something wrong a year ago she says I might be per menopause

suzheart10 replied to suzheart10's response:
forgot .... will this be a sign of my periods ending, will this one ever stop??

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to suzheart10's response:
Dear suzheart10,
If it doesn't stop on its own, gynecologists can always give you some medication to help it stop. And indeed, we can always do a D and C if the medications don't do the trick-so we never let anyone just keep on bleeding-don't worry,
Good luck,
Mary Jane

thank you very much, my appointment is monday so will see what she say an does. thank you again for relpying

she mention about doing a D and C was

Marr Jane Minkin MD, well it finally stop on tuesday. Is this a sign of my peoids stopping now ?? how or what can I take to stop te weight gain?? I look at foo and gain I eat better now than I did year ago but gining weight ism part of menopause what can I do abot it ??

Dear suzheart10,
I wish I could predict what will happen with your periods! But I think making sure that your gynecologist knows what's been going on will be helpful, so you don't get stuck with weeks of bleeding-you will be making a plan with your gyn, I'm sure, at your visit.
On the weight issue, no magic answers: do keep up with good nutrition, and lots of exercise, both cardio and strength training-both are important.
good luck,
Mary Jane

Thank you for replying I will talk over with my doc in a couple weeks

Mary Jane Minkin, I went to my gyno on monday, said thinks all is fine and thinking menopause, her one concern was my periods, specially the 4 week long one, so did a biopsy and doing a ultrasound in couple weeks to rule out anything but thinks nothing will be wrong. if I go on hormones will that regulate weight and periods???

Dear suzheart10,
We can usually help regulate bleeding with hormonal therapy. Alas, we cannot regulate weight so easily. Women going through the menopausal transition can gain typically from 5-8 ounds-now the good news is that's not every year, but through the whole transitional period. Women on hormone therapy do tend to gain a bit less. The most important thing for avoiding weight gain is good nutrition and exercise.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

I went to my doc and did a ultrasound and found a fibroid and a cysts, the fibroid is medium size and cysts is small i guess redoing ultrasound in 4 weeks to see if things change and need to do a blood work she is concern more about the cysts due to my age and monthly cycles are long short slow and very heavy, so irregular, if things done change she is thinking of removing them and doing a hysterectomy what is the best thing to do

Anon_6061 replied to suzheart10's response:
As one who had a hysterectomy, I would say go with something less drastic. There are usually ways to control the bleeding caused by fibroids. Here are the pharmaceutical options for heavy bleeding - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0015970/table/ch8.t1/?report=objectonly. Have you already tried birth control or non-hormonal tranexamic acid (Lysteda)?

If you want to go the surgical route, find a surgeon who will remove just the fibroid. Cysts are common and MOST are benign even in perimenopausal and menopausal women. If the cyst does not go away after a few months or looks suspicious, find a surgeon who will do a cystectomy so you can keep your ovary since the ovaries produce hormones into a woman's 80's. I wish I had done things very differently when my doctor said I needed a hysterectomy.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Fact or fiction? Estrogen therapy is an option for all menopausal womenExpert
Fiction: Only women who no longer have a uterus should consider using esdtrogen-alone therapy (ET). For women with a uterus, the option ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 39 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website