Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Heavy period & severe cramps
butterflyrac posted:
Hello - I'm 54 years old and haven't had my period since October 2013. Saturday started with severe cramps and these eased up at bit on Sunday. Sunday evening they started to get bad again. Finally at 11pm I put ice on my pelvic area and then shortly after I bled through everything. Called my GYN Monday and she prescribed Provera and 800 mg Ibuprofen. Took 1 Provera Monday evening and yesterday around 1pm when I got up from my desk everything gushed out really bad where I needed to go home and change and then it happened again last night. Saw my GYN yesterday and she would like to do a Hysteroscopy in a month because I haven't had a pap since 2011. Has anyone else experienced anything like this...its awful. I'm SO afraid to get up from my desk that everything is going to come gushing out My mother and sister both had hysterectomies when they were young and I just found out last night it was due to fibroid tumors.
Thank you!
Trudi

Anon_6061 responded:
Sorry you are dealing with this although it is not uncommon during perimenopause especially since you missed so many periods. Have you tried using a menstrual cup like the Diva Cup, Moon Cup, or Instead (there are some others too)? They are supposed to hold a lot more than tampons or pads. I have not used them so don't know how easy it is to learn how to insert them properly.

Hopefully, the Provera and the ibuprofen will lessen the flow. And if they don't do the trick, there's a non-hormonal prescription called Lysteda (tranexamic acid) that reduces menstrual flow.

Hang in there; it seems menopause should be around the corner.

nephele512 responded:
This sounds so much like fibroid tumors - really awful, I know. Ask your doctor to check for them and don't take no for an answer! Certain medications can make the tumors worse. Hang in there.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear butterflyrac,
Certainly could be related to fibroids and perimenopause.
Of medications, estrogen can stimulate the growth of fibroids, but there should be no problems in taking progestins like provera. The good news is that if you can get through to full menopause without too many symptoms, if you have fibroids, they should shrink after menopause. And it does sound like you are getting close.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

butterflyrac replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
Hello - I had a D&C and Hysteroscopy last thursday and my doctor called me thursday evening and said they couldn't see if I have any fibroids due to my previous (2008) endometrial ablation. So they now are suggesting a Hysterectomy. I'm waiting on biopsy results & my dr. said she should have them today. Waiting on pins & needles

Anon_6061 replied to butterflyrac's response:
Why would they suggest a hysterectomy when your biopsy results aren't even back yet? What are your symptoms that led to the D&C? I had an unnecessary hysterectomy and am suffering the negative effects - anatomical, endocrine, and sexual.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Menopause - Younger Ages
For those of you out there that are going/gone through menopause at an early age, Yes it happens. It's unusual but it happened to me. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
20 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website