Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Postmenopausal Issue
terry120953 posted:
Hello, I am new here with a few questions. I just turned 60, and ended my periods in Oct. 2009. I have always been in good health. In October last year, I went thru a VERY stressful week. On Thurs. of that week I wiped and noticed very light pink on the toilet paper. The next morning I strained to have a BM, which has been common for me most of my life, and again blood that was a little more and red. I went to the dr. the next morning and she did a pelvic and rectal. Rectal was fine, physical last July pap was fine, but she did see a small amount of blood near the cervix but was not sure where it was coming from. Ovaries, uterus felt fine, vagina was a little atrophied. She gave me the option of having a transvaginal ultrasound since I didn't have any insurance. I still don't, but saved money to go this Saturday. After that Friday morning, the bleeding was just intermittent spotting that lasted 1 week. There has been nothing since. Over the past week or so, I am having very mild intermittent pelvic pain, a couple times, a little pain in right ovary. No bleeding, no discharge. I did gain 40 lbs since Nov. 2011 following my father's death, I ate to relieve the sadness. Not sure if the added weight had anything to do with this, or the straining with occasional BM's. Should I be worried about the big C? I already deal with anxiety, (most of my life) and depression. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear terry120953,
I would go ahead and have the ultrasound, which is a very reasonable starter of an evaluation for post menopausal bleeding. Although the odds are definitely in your favor (that everything will turn out to be OK), it is still prudent to rule out any precancerous or cancerous changes. If something were abnormal, in gynecology, if we see something abnormal in a uterus, in general, taking out the uterus tends to cure people-we find things out early.
Sorry to hear about your father's death; but one thing I would try to do as best as possible would be to lose those 40 extra pounds. Unfortunately, added weight increases the risk of cancer of the lining of the uterus; the best way to help prevent it is to stay as close to ideal body weight as possible.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

terry120953 replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
Thank you Jane. I am scheduled for one this Friday. I appreciate you answer my question. I will let you know the outcome.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Fact or fiction? Estrogen therapy is an option for all menopausal womenExpert
Fiction: Only women who no longer have a uterus should consider using esdtrogen-alone therapy (ET). For women with a uterus, the option ... More
Was this Helpful?
26 of 40 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website