Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
HELP!! 2 yrs Since my Full Hysterectomy and having Very Painful Intercouse
Anon_238165 posted:
I had a Full Hysterectomy 2 yrs ago (at 37) this May 2014, and I really haven't been sexually active since then with the exception of 2 time 6 weeks after the procedure to "make sure things still worked". At that time things were fine. Since 2012 I haven't been with anyone. I now find myself in love and I want to give myself in every way I can, but sex has become Very painful!! I am NOT having a problem with lubrication. My Dr. prescribed a new Medication called Ospena but my Ins. does not cover it.. It would be $170 a month. I Love my boyfriend. I am almost 39 and I can't imagine that this is what my life is going to be like. Does anyone have ANY advice..

Anon_6061 responded:
A gynecologic exam would be needed to determine the cause of the pain. If you have adequate lubrication without using anything then it would seem that the problem is not vaginal atrophy. If the pain only occurs with deep penetration, then the problem could be that your vagina is too short to accommodate your partner. When the cervix is removed with the uterus, the vagina is shortened and sutured. This usually is not a problem but some women experience pain with deep penetration.

If the problem does happen to be atrophy, then a prescription vaginal estrogen (Estrace or Premarin cream or Vagifem pessaries) will heal the atrophied tissues.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Fact or fiction? Estrogen therapy is an option for all menopausal womenExpert
Fiction: Only women who no longer have a uterus should consider using esdtrogen-alone therapy (ET). For women with a uterus, the option ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 39 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website