Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    HELP!! 2 yrs Since my Full Hysterectomy and having Very Painful Intercouse
    Anon_238165 posted:
    I had a Full Hysterectomy 2 yrs ago (at 37) this May 2014, and I really haven't been sexually active since then with the exception of 2 time 6 weeks after the procedure to "make sure things still worked". At that time things were fine. Since 2012 I haven't been with anyone. I now find myself in love and I want to give myself in every way I can, but sex has become Very painful!! I am NOT having a problem with lubrication. My Dr. prescribed a new Medication called Ospena but my Ins. does not cover it.. It would be $170 a month. I Love my boyfriend. I am almost 39 and I can't imagine that this is what my life is going to be like. Does anyone have ANY advice..
    Anon_6061 responded:
    A gynecologic exam would be needed to determine the cause of the pain. If you have adequate lubrication without using anything then it would seem that the problem is not vaginal atrophy. If the pain only occurs with deep penetration, then the problem could be that your vagina is too short to accommodate your partner. When the cervix is removed with the uterus, the vagina is shortened and sutured. This usually is not a problem but some women experience pain with deep penetration.

    If the problem does happen to be atrophy, then a prescription vaginal estrogen (Estrace or Premarin cream or Vagifem pessaries) will heal the atrophied tissues.

    Featuring Experts

    Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

    Helpful Tips

    Fact or fiction? Estrogen therapy is an option for all menopausal womenExpert
    Fiction: Only women who no longer have a uterus should consider using esdtrogen-alone therapy (ET). For women with a uterus, the option ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    33 of 47 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website