Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Can Lack of Estrogen Cause Syncope and Palpitations
thorned6480 posted:
Just a quick question, I am 33 y/o Female. I had a complete hysterectomy in July of 2008. I have not been on any HRT. With in the past year and a half I have been having palpitations and syncope related episodes. My doctor stated that this could be due to lack of estrogen and also may be a thyroid issue. Could the lack of estrogen in my body be the cause, or could it be something else.
Note: I have had every type of testing and I am taking Toprol and currently wearing a 48 hour holter monitor. Just something that i am trying to rule out until my blood work and the results from this test come back. Thank you so much!

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Thomed6480,
Your symptoms certainly could be related to lack of estrogen. When you say complete hysterectomy, did they really take out both ovaries? not to be prying, but is there any reason you cannot take estrogen? Because if you do not have any absolute reasons not to take estrogen (like having breast cancer that is sensitive to estrogen), you really should be considering estrogen therapy. You are very young, and indeed, young women health wise (heart disease, osteoporosis, dementia) do much better taking estrogen therapy. if your gynecologist is not familiar with these issues, please go to menopause.org, the website of the North American menopause society, to find a menopause practitioner near you. That person will share with you the data to help guide your decisions.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Estring worked for me
I've had this problem periodically since menopause - I am now 67. Cure for me was Estring, which actually causes a pleasant sort of sweet ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website