Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
total hysterectomy
beacher1 posted:
I had a total hysterectomy done at 57 years old for stage1b uterine cancer. Everything else was normal except the saline washings tested positive for cancer. What are the chances that this is estrogen fed.

Take the Poll

i had a total hysterectomy done at 57 years old for stage 1b uterine cancer. Everything else was normal except the saline washings tested positive for cancer. What are the chances that this is estrogen fed.
  • i can be reassured
  • i won't need chemo or radiation
vote
View Poll Results

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Beacher1,
Most cancers of the lining of the uterus are related to estrogen. That being said, one needs a bit more information on your tumor to decide on exact therapy, which your gynecological oncologist will be taking a look at (like how deep into the wall of the uterus did the tumor grow, and how exactly the cells of the tumor look, as far as potential aggressive behavior). However, indeed surgery cures the vast majority of stage 1b endometrial cancers-most of the time, we recommend a bit of radiation therapy to the top of the vagina (where the cervix was detached from the vagina).-that's sort of for "good luck"-
In general, most gyneological oncologists are fine with use of vaginal estrogen therapy (for moisture) and also systemic therapy as well (patches or pills)-this has been studied, and indeed, with 1B tumors, estrogen doesn't increase return of the tumor.
So you should do very well-stay healthy, and do go back for the suggested follow up exams.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Darkened Skin above my lip
What can I do about dark skin above my upper lip. I have gone through menopause already. I have tried skin bleach to no avail. What do I ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website