Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
7 months no period....
evie1993 posted:
Had a period in sept 2013 then finally again in May 2014 been bleeding for 6 days starting day 3 I have been bleeding so heavy it soaks a tampon n pad...alway been irregular we are ttc but worried I can't any info would be good

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear evie1993,
This type of a bleeding pattern is quite typical in perimenopause, which is where it sounds like you are. What happens in perimenopause is that we stop ovulating well; and we build up a lining of the uterus, with some ovarian activity (estrogen production) but without progesterone made by our ovaries when we ovulate, we can get this type of crazy bleeding.
So do check in with your health care provider, who can get you some progesterone type therapy to help you control this kind of crazy bleeding. It is quite safe to do this and will give you some control.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Menopause - Younger Ages
For those of you out there that are going/gone through menopause at an early age, Yes it happens. It's unusual but it happened to me. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
20 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website