Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Menopause
shamrus posted:
Hello, do menopause symptoms affect blood pressure negatively?. I suffer from frequent burning up and sweating both day & night. I have not slept more than an hour straight in over 10months. Constantly awakened by hot flashes and incredible profuse sweating to the extent I feel out of breath. My blood pressure today is 196/117 and my head feels like its about to explode. Is the menopause causing this? Currently unemployed so I do not have any health insurance and no unemployment benefit either. Any suggestions would be so greatly appreciated.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Shamrus,
Women can experience blood pressure elevations with menopause-but this blood pressure elevation would be unusual to be being caused by menopause. I would look to some medical folks to see if they can help evaluate it-there are certain medical conditions that can cause blood pressure elevations and hot flashes (with production of some hormones from the adrenal glands, like adrenalin)-check in with the local medical (like county) medical society if there are some places locally available for reduced rate medical care.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

kellbear responded:
Shamrus,
I can definately understand what you are going through. I also have sleepless nights. It's not always caused by night sweats and hot flashes. Sometimes it's just insomnia. I also have high blood pressure. I'm 36 yrs old and I had a full hysterectomy 8 years ago so I've been dealing with these problems off and on for years. It gets very upsetting after a while. I have found that when I have insomnia, whether from night sweats or not, my blood pressure runs high. It goes hand in hand. If you can get a good night sleep maybe your blood pressure will go down. Are you taking any estrogen for the night sweats? I have found that Black Cohosh has helped with the hot sweats and night sweats but it doesn't help me with the horrible mood swings. You might want to try it. Also, you may be having some stress issues that is keeping you awake. Try some meditation or breathing exercises before bedtime. Or research some homeopathic solutions like Hyland's Calm Forte. Sometimes when I am in an insomnia cycle I take it and it does help me to sleep. I hope some of these suggestions will help you. Do some research before you take any of these supplements because they may not be for everyone. I just know what has helped me. I still don't have the answers for the mood swings, irritablity and depression. That's what plagues me the most. Menopause is not for the faint of heart, that's for sure. Somedays I feel faint of heart.

shamrus replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
Thank you for your response Dr Minkin. I appreciate your advice & I will attempt to see what is available to me if anything. I believe the medical condition, if any, is simply stress due to my current unemployment position and no source of income. Adding to that these dreadful symptoms of 'old age' does not help. Just have to maintain a stiff upper lips as us Brits' say.

shamrus replied to kellbear's response:
Thank you Kellbear for your suggestions. I must say that I never really associated a lack of sleep to elevated BP, but it does make sense. I will try to meditate, (If I can keep my thoughts for more that a nano second off my current situation) and breathing exercises to see if that helps. Anything else that requires money unfortunately right now is not an option, but I have heard about the natural remedies that I hope to try one day. Actually,,, I'd prefer if this would just go away. I never thought I would see the day when I would rather go through a cycle each month than suffer this. Defo coming back as a man!!!

kellbear replied to shamrus's response:
Shamrus,
I totally agree. I would much rather have the monthly curse than this. Men have it sooooo easy!!

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Red Clover Blossoms
I have done research and have been using red clover blossom 2x daily(750 mg from most vitamin places). I no longer get get hot flashes. ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website